Earlier this month, a friend from church offered a challenge on Facebook: Every day this month until Thanksgiving post in your status update one thing you are thankful for.
Lately, I’ve been caught up in life’s little issues and have not taken time to reflect on things I’m thankful for. I admit I’ve been dwelling on negatives rather than positives. A couple of good friends have got to be tired of my constant refrain: “Why can’t I be happy being happy?”
I’m sick of my own whining. It’s time to ante up and be thankful for all the blessings in my life, too numerous to list.
So here’s a start, in no particular order, of things I am thankful for:
1. A husband who cooks. I have NEVER cooked a Thanksgiving dinner nor do I ever intend to. I hate to cook. I love to eat. I do like to bake but that’s a post of a different color.
2. My children
3. My mommy. She’s my best friend and my writing partner. I know how truly fortunate I am to have the mother/daughter relationship we share. When I was five, I did throw a little brass vase down the stairs at her. She gave it back when I was 18, though.
4. A job doing what I love: writing. And all the writers who’ve give me so much reading pleasure over the years.
5. All the students I’ve taught writing to.
6. My friends, from my very first best friend in St. Clair Shores, Michigan, whom I bopped with a metal truck when we were toddlers (my mom said she was trying to play with me when I was trying to get her brother’s attention) to the ones I cherish to this day. And no, I haven’t hit anybody with a Tonka truck since.
7. A wonderful church
8., 9., 10., and so on….My extended family, my older son’s girlfriend, my favorite professors, M&M’s….
What are you thankful for?